Thursday, June 30, 2005

War of the Worlds - My take on it

I remember as a child hearing the radio version of War of the Worlds. Mind you, this was not the original airing but was one done in the early 70's. I remember laying on my mother's bed listening and that I found the story so disturbing.

Then the movie came out. I was young and didn't know the difference so to me, the movie was scary. And a few years later, Justin Hayward came out with his version of the narrating/singing of War of the Worlds. I loved that version and found not only the songs and narration disturbing but also the illustration of the booklet that was enclosed.

And so, here is Steve Spielberg's version. I loved it. I had to remind myself to breathe and found the scenes an interesting combination of different things. I saw the same family interactions that were so familiar in E.T. and Jurassic Park. And the special effects of Close Encounters. And then the cold horrific situation, the reality of the story, felt like a combination of Minority Report and Schindler's List. I think I would like to see it again.

I came out of the theater with a feeling similar to that one when exiting Jurassic Park. I was so relieved that it was just a movie.

No comments: