Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Home from the Holidays

I arrived back from my visit to D.C. today. This is the first time that I have stayed with my sister through both Christmas and New Years. I had a good time and hope that it wasn't too long for my sister. I would like to do it again this year.

We don't really venture out when I visit. I've already done the Smithsonian, Alexandria, Fredericksburg thing. Though we did come close to going to Monticello but it was cold and rainy the day we selected and my sister and I decided to stay inside and continue on our projects.

During my visit I managed to do three needlepoint projects (photos are forthcoming, I'll post them later). We watched all 8 episodes of Horatio Hornblower, which I absolutely loved. We watched 3 of the Sharpe's series; my brother-in-law got 5 episodes but we only had time for 3. Interestingly, I had some difficulty following everything that was going on in the series. We also watched the entire 4 hours of A&E's Pride & Prejudice in addition to the movie version that starred Keira Knightly.

My favorite was Horatio Hornblower. I simply loved that character and think that the actor that played the role was perfect. Last year when I visited my sister, we watched the entire season of Firefly. I felt the same way about that series; I can't beleive it didn't continue beyond.

Last year before I left we started to watch the Hamish MacBeth series. I think we got throught 2 but for some reason we didn't pick it back up. I think we were really hooked on the late 18th early 19th century Brittish stories. We even through Dances with Wolves in the mix this year.

I really can't believe how much we squeezed in. In addition to this we did manage to celebrate Christmas and New Years and even visit with some friends.

I had a realtor that I could forward my calls to so I was able to pretty much disconnect myself from Houston. Besides the fact that the surroundings of Arlington are so different from Houston but so are the sounds. Sirens there do not sound like the sirens we have here in Houston. For some reason they sound more ominous. My sister's house is very close to Lee Hwy and I hear them often while visiting.

I'm glad to be home and back with my pets, especially Seamus who I really missed.

It's hard for me to leave my sister; both of us become very anxious when parting. Sometimes I wish I had moved to Washington D. C. back in '90 instead of to New York. I think I might have stayed and perhaps gone to Georgetown to get my MBA. Who knows. But my relationship with my sister was so much more strained then than it is today. I am not the same person, so she and I get along much better now than we did then.

I am going to have a kick ass year ahead of me. I hired an agent before the end of the year and I possibly will be hiring another before the end of this month. I've been contacted by two people who want to buy a house this month. I even think I found a place to open my office and if things continue as I hope, will be in that office by Summer.

Ok, bed time.

No comments: