Friday, July 15, 2005

More on my views of Bush and the Religious Right

As a declared atheist I guess that one would reasonably assume that when I speak out against our President's support of the Religious Right that I am doing so rebelliously. I know that most perceive atheists as being angry and "against" the religion. With me, this not the case.

First of all, I understand the importance that religion plays in our social structure. People need to believe in something greater than themselves. Life is not easy and many people are not really up to the task of living it. Trying to go through life without believing in a Supreme Being leaves one to figure a lot of things out on one's own. We have to define and understand our own moral codes. The advantage of being a religious person is that many of those moral codes are already designed and distributed. People are not able to live up to most of them but the codes are there.

My issue regarding the Religious Right has more to do with it's short sightedness. It seems to me that the only thing they want is to have Roe vs. Wade reversed. That's it. They want a President to do whatever he can to reverse it. I haven't heard them speak out about anything else. They are simply obsessed with Roe vs. Wade. To me that is the equivalent of being obsessed with making sure that unwanted children are brought into this world. How can anyone be so shortsighted? How can this be a good thing? And then let's couple this with making the only available birth control for young people be "abstinence". Is anyone getting this and how tragic this is, or is it just me?

Honestly, I thought Bush understood this. Really, I did. For some reason, I saw him as one who understood the big picture in this regard. But somewhere, something clicked, and I see him as one who wants to do more to appease the RR. And since he has been so consistant and loyal regarding his stands on principle, I can only assume that he is going to stay true to his own personal convictions regarding abortion and will hand to the RR the Supreme Court Justice that will give them what they want.

Now, all that being said, I have to give him some credit on what I understand the new strategy to be and that is, he is letting the Senate present the nominee(s). Now that's a smart thing and I do like that idea.

I think I just want him to firmly draw a line that basically tells the RR that "this is where their job ends and his begins" and somehow, I think that line just doesn't exist.

No comments: