Saturday, April 30, 2005

Private Accounts w/Social Security

Well, it seems that Bush has really taken on a huge challenge. Most people I know, hate change. Especially when it comes to our money or our future.

I agree with his plan, however, to add the option of private accounts in conjunction with Social Security. I think the idea of no longer referring to it as a Social Security bill but as a "Retirement" bill is perfect.

I had a conversation with a friend who thought that it wouldn't be a good idea because he didn't think that young people would be responsible enough to do it. I htink that since this has never been an issue, it hasn't been a part of our culture to think otherwise. I believe that "personal finance" classes would have to be added to our highschool and college curriculum. It would have to be mandatory. And, of course, the idea that participation in the program is solely voluntary, is perfect.

Why are the Democrats resisting this? I guess the answer is obvious. The polls are not supporting the idea. So, I guess they are doing the "political thing", waiting for the polls to support it then get with the program. I guess if it goes through, Democratic Presidential candidates for 2008 will claim that they "voted against it before they voted for it."

Bush definitely works hard. I think his job is thankless sometimes. I'm not sure most Americans realize how hard he works to get these things done. Granted, I don't support everything he does, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see he works his butt off.

I hope America appreciates this.

No comments: