Sunday, April 03, 2005

Promoting change in the GOP

I recently came across an excellent article written by John Danforth in the New York Times titled: In the Name of Politics. He hit the nail on the head for me in terms of how I have been feeling about the GOP.

The one thing I like so much about the Republican Party is that it has direction; something the previous administration lacked. Bush, I think, is a strong and effective leader. And I agree with the importance of a principal orientated agenda.

But I have to agree with John's article in that the Republican Party is now being manipulated and pushed by the religious right. It has gone beyond rhetoric. I never really thought the party would cross the line and interfere with private matters until the issue of Terri Schiavo surfaced. I do not share these extreme ideas that seem to be permeating the party and the only result can be that the party is validating the invasion of the religious right and encouraging them to push the envelope with their agenda. How long 'till they get the idea that they can begin taking matters into their own hands.

So feeling the way that I do only alienates me from the party. I can't possibly be the only one that feels this way; there must be many of us that are very concerned by the measures the party took to interfere in the Schiavo case and that perhaps this is a clear indication just where this party is willing to take it's religious agenda.

No comments: