Monday, April 16, 2007

Run! Don't Walk - Houston

Recently, I went to Stages Repertory Theater to see a play titled I Am My Own Wife. You must see this play.

The play is performed by a single actor who plays each character without a costume change. Initially, when John invited me to see the play I thought it would be interesting to see an entire play performed by one person especially since I somewhat knew the actor in person. But what really transpired was so much more than I was expecting.

To start with, the actor Philip Lehl, is a phenomenal actor. He was the lead in John's musical "Deep in the Heart" and he did a really nice interpretation of the leading role. But in this particular piece, he had to play each role with such distinction so that the audience could never mistake who was who. It worked. I didn't see John's friend Philip on the stage ever; I saw only the characters he portrayed.

The play pulled me in and held my attention through to the very end. I didn't find myself scoping out the audience during the performance, which is something I have a tendency to do in a small theater. The story itself was riveting. And most importantly, his portrayal of the lead character is so very poignant.

If you live in Houston, go see this play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Texas Girl, the play sounds good...wish I was in Houston to be able to see it, it's been a long while since I've been to the theatre. Thanks for stopping by my blog...it's nice to see a new face.