Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Ghosts

I have been spending the last few months focusing on getting my broker's license. I finished my last correspondence class just before leaving for D.C. but I wasn't in time to take the test before the end of the year. So, I'm taking my prep course today and tomorrow and will take my test on Friday.

A lot of stuff that is covered in the prep class is basically the same stuff that one learns in the principle courses one takes for a regular salesman license. So today we went over the basics and I learned something new about disclosures. I guess it's been covered before but it wasn't significant to me then.

A seller is required to disclose if her house has a ghost. All this time I was thinking that it was NOT required because I couldn't understand how a court could uphold a suit for damages since "ghosts" can't be "proven". I think it boils down to there being a stigma associated with the property.

This summer, I had a woman lease a property from me who was frantically trying to get out of her current home because it was haunted. She had a poltergeist. She had only been in her place for about 3 months. I'm not going to claim that I'm a great judge of character but I could tell, she wasn't lying.

A lot of people seem to want to come forward with their ghost stories.

My sister bought a house in the historic district in Arlington VA. I remember her telling me that she had bought the house from a recent widow who moved to a nursing home; they built the house in the 20's. My sister said the dead husband was visiting the house regularly. Both she and her husband felt his presence. About a year and a half ago he disappeared. My sister encountered a neighbor who told her that the wife has passed away and she thinks he left to join her.

Anyway, I'm totally fascinated by ghosts.

5 comments:

~Krystyn~ said...

That is very interesting about ghosts - Id be too scared to live w/them, but I find them very interesting.

Freebird said...

I'm very fascinated by them too. In as much as I love hearing about them, I'm such a scaredy-cat I could never actually deal with one.

Freebird said...

Good luck on your test Friday! I'm sure you'll do just fine.

A Girl From Texas said...

Nora: Thanks for the encouraging words..... We'll know this time tomorrow if I'm going to have to try again.

Cathy said...

I've never had an encounter with a ghost. Probably a good thing cause I'm not sure I would live to talk about it. Several years ago my father had a major stroke and his mother had one on the same day. They both lay in comas for several days. The doctor's said they didn't know why my grandmother was still alive, that she should have died immediately.

Well, about 10 minutes after my daddy started waking up and showing signs of life my grandmother passed away. I've always thought she hung on until she knew he was going to be OK. That is as close as I have ever come to the super-natural.

I hope all goes well today. I'll keep my fingers crossed!