Monday, October 16, 2006

Cyberspace to Paris - Part 2

5rb "I don't recall all of my first impressions of Andy from our initial conversation but there are a few words that come to mind. First, I found tim to be extremely self-confident. It was through his wit and his quick unpretentious responses to my questions and merrymaking that made his self-confidence seem so apparent to me. And secondly, I determined him to be down-to-earth and very laid back; a quality I can admire as it meant that he didn't take life so seriously.

In addition to being attracted to his laid back personality, I was also intimidated by it. It highlighted my own intense and serious demanor; something I am aware can be a turn-off for a lot of people as it can be tedious at times. I was able to to keep the conversation light at the beginning but after two consecutive days of conversing with Andy, my intensity surfaced. An outside factor obligated Andy to abruptly end our conversation and I immediately interpreted his departure as a desire on his part to just end our conversation. After a day or two of not hearing from him, I thought perhaps he had decided to avoid me altogether.

My sister was in the process of arranging her internet connection about the same time period that I met Andy. She and I had been sending each other e-mails to and from work as I tried to help her get connected to ICQ an dintroduce her to other chat programs where the two of us could play. After about a week of tweaking and detailed intstruction, Diane was finally becoming a novice to the world of chat and web-surfing.

Andy once again surfaced just as Diane and I began developing our own routine."
******************************************************************************


Andy: "Over the following week or so that GFT and I intermittently communicated, she started to talk about a man she was pursuing. I was not sure how to take this new line in conversation. On the one hand it suggested to me that she was quite happy to talk about personal things in her life with me; and I took this very much as a compliment. However, there was also a suggestion that this line of conversation was possibly trying to tell me that her heart was set on someone; and therefore, she was not looking for love over the net.

Although I was in some sense looking for romance on the net, I did not see this as a problem in our continuing communication because the logical side of my mind was telling me it was an unlikely event since she lived 6000 miles away. Really, what were the chances?

At this point, my computer decided to break down, much to my chagrin, as I was really getting into ICQ as a communication forum. I had begun to build up quite a list of female contacts and had set about exploring the flirtatious side of ICQ.

When I finally got back online a week or so later, GFT was not necessarily the first person I would have particularly expected to pay much attention to my absence. I had the impression she was consumed by her own world at that time and busy with pursuing her male quarry. Therefore, when I checked my e-mail and found various messages from GFT asking if I was ignoring her, I was somewhat surprised but pleasantly so. No one can deny, whoever they are, it is always nice to be missed.

So, our relationship was rekindled, and with renewed vigor on my part.

3 comments:

katy said...

GFT - This is so fun! I can't wait for the next chapter. It's always interesting to hear other people's stories. Truth is often stranger (or at least more exciting) than fiction!

Cathy said...

So, that is what goes on over on ICQ. Very interesting! The rest of this story should be very interesting. Can't wait to see what happens.

A Girl From Texas said...

I'm having a lot of fun reliving this story.