Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I think the best thing that happened for the Objectivist movement is the book that Piekoff put together titled "Objectivism, The Philosophy of Ayn Rand". I equate it with the same importance as the Bible being translated from Latin so that the church could read it and interpret it's meaning on their own. For so long, those of us who were interested in learning Objectivism were left with having to understand it by extrapolating what we thought she meant from her various essays.

I guess the word here is empowerment. We were empowered to learn it on our own and I think that is what led to the break-up of so many of the people at the top of the Objectivist movement. So, I guess the ARI will be labeled as the "true" representation of the philosophy just as the Catholic church has been labeled the "true" church of Christ.

I came across an excellent article by Nathaniel Brandon The Benefits and Hazards of the Philosophy of Ayn Rand: A Personal Statement. I think that Mr. Brandon's ideas are very thoughtful and that he nails a lot of the problems on the head. I don't think that this article takes anything away from the philosophy itself.

No comments: