Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just Stuff

I decided to walk over to 11th street cafe and get breakfast. Unfortunately they didn't have bacon. I really wanted bacon. It was nice getting out and seeing people. I can't believe I showed up without business cards.

My phone service is sporadic. The only thing that works well is texting. T-Mobile is going to make a mint off of us.

I'm a little bored. I've been working on a needlepoint project for the last 3 days. I love stitching but I'm ready for a break. My friend, John, is frustrated that he doesn't have power.

I remember when Alecia hit us in '83. It was August. My family lived in Kingwood and we were without electricity for a week. My grandparents were visiting at the time; they regretted the timing of their visit. I remember how stifling the heat and humidity was. I slept with my windows open and a wet towel draped over me. I recall that I actually got relief by doing that. I also remember that people were price gouging ice and my father was livid about it. I don't remember anything else. I don't remember how we prepared for it, or what we ate during the days after.

Admittedly, I wasn't as prepared as I should have been for this storm. Had I lost power like my friends, I don't know that I would have had enough food to sustain me. Water and batteries were plentiful. I completely forgot, though, that I don't have a radio.

When Rita hit, I was completely prepared. I guess the false alarm of that storm had something to do with how I prepared for this one. I don't know when news people are being sincere and when they are sensationalizing.

No comments: