Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

There was a really great report on 60 Minutes this evening discussing the effects of sleep deprivation. They showed that when people didn't get enough sleep they ate more and they also developed conditions that could lead towards diabetes. And, obviously, I feel better during the day.

I have two cats and at night, they want to play. It usually only lasts a little while but it wakes me up; and, most often when that happens I have been unable to go back to sleep. It isn't uncommon for them to wake me up at 4 and 5 in the morning. When that happens, I'm wide awake for about an hour or two and then I have to go back to bed and then don't get up until after 10.

Lately, I've been chasing them out of my room at night when I go to bed and not letting them back in until I get up. I have noticed a significant change in my sleeping as a result of this. I find I can get up at 9:00 a.m. every day. Sometimes, I wake up at 8:00 and can get up and get on with my day. I still wake up in the middle of the night but not as frequently. And my cats do get impatient and by about 8:30 a.m. are at my door meowing for me to get up and be among them. But for the most part, it's good. I get enough sleep and I feel better.

2 comments:

Timmy said...

I saw a part of the sleep story. When The Calvinator doesn't sleep, I don't sleep and then I get grumpy.

A Girl From Texas said...

I think it's cute you call him the Calvinator. He's such a cute dog.