Friday, September 16, 2005

Shut My Mouth and Sweet Potato Pie

Music: Silent Giant - Roby Deaton
Mood: Relaxed

As many of you know, the sweet people from New Orleans are known for their cooking and their love of sharing their food with friends and strangers. Some evacuees are living in my apartment community and I have spent several evenings sitting in the gazebo in my apartment visiting with one in particular. He is a very sweet old man named Ivory and he is staying here with his daughter and son until they can determine if there is anything worth salvaging in New Orleans.

Ivory waits in the gazebo for me to come from work so that we can sit and visit. I have been so busy this week, usually getting home at 7:00 or so, that I've missed him as I get home from work. So, today, I was able to get in at an earlier hour. There he was, he had gotten a hair cut, more like head shave, and was waiting for me. He baked this morning and had made a sweet potato pie just for me. What a tasty treat! I have to say that was a really kind gesture.

2 comments:

Frazzledsister said...

Hey I was just browsing and came upon your blog. Really like it; I'll be coming back.

God bless the victims of Hurricane Katrina...

A proud American in NE...

The Patriot said...

Oh goodness; I just posted under my sister's username. :) Silly me.